Sunday, February 1, 2009

I'm back!!!

So, I changed the name of the blog to cover both of my Georgia externship experiences....I thought about using an Atlanta nickname in place of the Athens nickname, but there aren't many that are very nice.

I made it into Atlanta Saturday afternoon after stopping through Birmingham to visit with Andrew and Amy's clan (plus Biz and Tim and friend). The house was very easy to find and is in a great neighborhood! The houses are older with lots of character but they've all been updated, and this house is great! Anna (the homeowner) is very nice and has made me feel very comfortable- she has 2 really cute dogs (Tallulah and Jezebel), and it is nice to have two happy tails wagging to greet you when you come through the gate!

Last night, I mainly unpacked and settled into my room- a great room on the back corner of the house with lots of windows and a bathroom. Anna was helping with a charity event, so when she got home we finally met.

This morning, I met Wilson and Brooks for church. Wilson lives and works here in Atlanta, and Brooks was visiting for the weekend from Chattanooga, so it was great to visit with them! We went to church (ChristChurch Presbyterian), where a kind woman waited and chatted with me until I found the guys, and then we went to eat lunch at Treehouse- a great Sunday brunch spot.

I made my way back to the house...I don't think I went the quickest way, but I got here with no problems, and the weather was so nice that I sat on the back steps watching the dogs play in the grass and reading a magazine. When Anna got home, I followed her to the grocery store so I could see the way to the shopping center and CDC. The store was PACKED, and I bruised my shin with a defunct shopping cart, but I got enough food to last me for the week I hope.

The neighborhood seems very friendly- everyone knows each other, has dogs, and watches out for one another. Today, I met the man next door, and then went with Anna to watch part of the Super Bowl with a couple across the street. They were very nice (and had a really cute Golden Doodle puppy) and said to let them know if I need anything while I'm here- he made sure what type of car I have so he can keep an eye out.

That is about it for today....tomorrow is the big Day 1 for my CDC externship and I don't know what to expect! I will try to post pictures and details tomorrow! Thanks for reading.

No comments: