Tuesday, July 21, 2009

PPIHC 2K9

We're getting back to normal here after an eventful weekend!

On Saturday, Joel, JP, and I went to the Royal Gorge, which is a little over an hour southwest of Colorado Springs. It had some absolutely beautiful views, but I wouldn't suggest it if you're afraid of heights. The bridge over Royal Gorge is the highest suspension bridge in the world (according to them), and there is also a gondola that takes you across the gorge...about 0.25 mile above the Arkansas River. You can see rafters and the passenger train running along the floor of the gorge. There is also a very steep "incline railway" that runs to the bottom of the gorge. Saturday was a beautiful day, and we were able to partake in all of these activities.

The gondola that took us across the gorge.
The ladder attached to the ceiling of the gondola...note that this was a standard sized ladder and we were 0.25 mile above the river.
Joel and JP.
A view of the canyon floor through a gap between the wooden planks of the bridge.
The flag of my mighty Mississippi.

The incline railway.

On Sunday, we left the house a little after 4 a.m. to get a good spot on the mountain for the Pike's Peak International Hill Climb. We found a parking spot at Devil's Playground (the highest area parking was allowed for the race) and staked out a spot with our chairs. We then sat in those chairs for the next couple of hours in the dark, cold, windy mountain air (well, Joel and John did...I napped in the Subaru!). The rest of the day was filled with more wind and quite a few adrenaline rushes as cars, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, and other speedy vehicles sped past us. It was certainly an experience I'd recommend if you're in Colorado in July!

Sunrise from Pike's Peak.
More views.
Spectators scattered on the hill prepared for the race.
JP and Joel (JP is on the left covered with a sleeping bag).
Good morning!
The first car up the mountain...the vintage class!
Motorcycle class.
"Quad" class.
We could see a lot of the track from where we were sitting.

One of the racing cars was stuck in traffic with us on the way down the mountain at the end of the day. A few minutes later, we passed him again and he was being towed!
One of the racing semi-trucks...unfortunately, the rain prevented this division from racing.

"Monster" Tajima looking to break the elusive 10 minute barrier up Pike's Peak. This was the moment all had been waiting for...but he didn't make it! Maybe next year, Monster.


This is the sidecar division. When I heard sidecar, I was thinking big clunky motorcycle carring an elderly couple. As you can see from the video, I was a little off!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice post, pics and videos. I had a great time and can't wait to get back out there to visit again.