Friday, November 14, 2008

TGIF

A pretty uneventful day at SCWDS. I mainly read some disease articles and looked at slides of the tissues that I "cut-in" last week of the rabid bobcat and fox with distemper. One of the veterinary diagnosticians that graduated from Cornell's vet school last year said he'd go over the slides with me on Monday so I'll actually know what I'm looking at!

I also got to sit in on the CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease...the deer form of Mad Cow Disease) meeting this afternoon, but it turns out it isn't as official and exciting of a meeting as it sounds. Most states in the Southeast send in lymph nodes to be tested for CWD surveillence (that is what I helped the folks with the other day), and the meeting just served to see how many samples they had coming, etc.

The Key Deer didn't come in today...I'm really hoping that they decided not to send it, instead of it sitting on a UPS truck over the weekend- yikes! A little bit about the Key Deer: this is a subspecies of the white-tailed deer that lives in the Florida Keys. They're a good bit smaller than white-tailed deer:


Dr. Keel (my teacher/boss/mentor/supervisor) will be gone to the American College of Veterinary Pathologists convention until the end of next week, but he sent me some information on two seminars to be held on campus next week. One will be about polar bears, and the other is about turtles- they both sound pretty interesting, and it will be nice to visit some other departments on campus.

Tonight, I went to Cracker Barrel for some blueberry pancakes, and then shopped around Kohl's for awhile, ending up with just some salt and pepper shakers!

I'm starting to plan my next 8 days in my head so that I can have the fullest Athens experience possible!

No comments: