Thursday, October 30, 2008

Just another day in the necropsy room

Today was a pretty routine day at SCWDS. First thing this morning, we took a deer's front legs down to the vet school's radiology department and took some radiographs! She had very large sores on her wrists, and it looked like she had been walking on her wrists so we wanted to see if she had some foot problem that was causing her to do that. We also necropsied a deer head that had some abscesses, and a whole deer that we thought had Chronic Wasting Disease because her tongue had been hanging out and she was found by water, but it turns out that she had been shot through the lower jaw....that'll make you feel pretty bad too I guess!

After the necropsies, I walked around campus for my late lunch, eating as I walked. My goal was to find a road that I drove down the other day...a road that is right behind one of the football stadium end zones. I walked towards the stadium, but wasn't quite sure I was headed in the right direction, and was definately too stubborn to ask anyone where something as obvious as the stadium was....I finally found it! I hope the following pictures the scene justice:

Yes, this road that I'm walking down runs behind the jumbotron. I wonder if you can stand on the bridge during games? The stadium looked HUGE from this viewpoint.

"Sanford Stadium"
I guess this is where Joel would work if he were at UGA instead of MSU!

A typical campus view: the vet school area is on the left hand side of the road, and the basketball coliseum is in the background with the white roof.

The small animal hospital of the vet school.

I am assuming this is the first vet school building they built here. I think it mainly houses classes and labs- I haven't had a reason to go inside, but it is pretty on the outside. It sits between the teaching hospital (above) and the wildlife health building (below).

THIS is where it all goes down! This is the wildlife health building, home of SCWDS. The rest of the vet school is behind this building in this picture. The area where I set up camp is the left side of the building...an extra desk in the conference room!

I'm doing my first laundry in my Athens apartment tonight...if I'd known how TINY the washer and dryer are, I would have started earlier! But it is certainly nice to have them in the apartment instead of having to find a laundromat.

I know we have one deer to necropsy tomorrow, then I'm not sure what the plan is...it is Halloween, which I've heard is CRAZY in Athens. People dress up and go downtown and it is supposedly a sight to see!

No comments: