Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

We started out today with another deer necropsy...this one ended up having an abscess on her spine that caused it to fracture- no wonder a hunter found her unable to get up...so, 2 deer cases from the past 2 days have been seemingly random non-infectious events (gunshot to the jaw and broken back)...who knew!

At lunch time, Gary (the semi-retired man that invited me for dinner Sunday) took me to eat lunch and showed me around town a bit. We at at The Grill downtown, and I had a great patty melt with huge crinkle cut fries. The Grill seems to be an Athens staple, and is open 24/7: www.thegrillathensga.com/


Mr. Gary Doster is a history buff, so he showed me the old Athens foundry, that is now the Melting Point (where my friend from Jackson, Patrick's, band will be playing next week). We also drove through the old cemetery where a member of the B-52s and an REM member are both buried, and where you can now buy a plot next to your favorite UGA athelete/celebrity: www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/09/26/gacemetery.html . That's a new one for me!

I'm not sure what my plans are tonight. I'll likely drive through the Five Points area after I leave school and maybe explore the "West Side" this evening. Though I've learned my way around downtown and much of the "East Side," I have yet to venture very far west. I may eat at the Taco Stand tonight...one of my teachers at MSU lived in Athens for a long time and said she loved it. I would like to do a tiny bit of people watching, since downtown Athens goes all-out for Halloween, and the Taco Stand would be a good spot for that since it is on Broad St. (the main drag separating campus and downtown).

Tomorrow, I plan to attend the Athens Farmers' Market first thing...I may even wake up semi-early for it! I've been on their newsletter e-mail list, and I've been looking forward to checking it out. I also want to go to Sandy Creek Park, which is on the north end of town. They have trails, a nature center, etc. The State Botanical Garden of Georgia is also supposed to be really nice, so I may go by there this weekend. I'll probably study somewhere in all of that too!

That is all for now!

No comments: