Today at work/school, things were slightly less exciting, but we did have some deer pieces sent in for Chronic Wasting Disease and Hemorrhagic Disease testing, and we necropsied 3 Puerto Rican Parrots, a very very endangered species. I got to perform one of them by myself! Tomorrow, we're supposed to necropsy 1 1/2 deer and we'll see from there!
After work/school today, I went for a quick run down the Heritage Trail of the Oconee River Greenway. I hope to explore more of the Greenway this weekend, as well as the State Botanical Gardens. I am eating chickpea and fire-roasted tomato soup right now, and I'm picking up my one friend in town in a few minutes to head to UGA's RUF
I think I have my first planned social outing! I got to talking to "Gary" this morning. He is the semi-retired employee here at SCWDS that works on the quarterly newsletters...we share an "office" (the conference room). He invited me to eat "chicken bog" with he and his wife and 2 other couples this Sunday evening. They're getting together to eat this local meal of chicken, rice, and sausage, and then watch the movie "Song of the South" that he keeps locked in his vault. It should make for a very interesting evening, especially considering his wife and the other 2 couples are Jehovah's witnesses. Keep in mind I'm excited about a social event with a couple that takes advantage of the "Free Soft Drinks for Seniors" discount at Taco Bell- their favorite restaurant...so, we'll see what transpires from this!
I didn't get a chance to take any new pictures today, so I will post a picture of something I hope to visit while I'm here: The Tree That Owns Itself

The Tree that Owns Itself is a large white oak (Quercus alba) at the corner of Dearing and Finley Streets. It is actually one grown from an acorn of the original Tree That Owns Itself, so-called because of a deed executed many years ago by Colonel W.H. Jackson: "For and in consideration of the great love I bear this tree and the great desire I have for its protection for all time, I convey entire possession of itself and the land within eight feet of it on all sides."
No comments:
Post a Comment